In Chapter Fifteen of Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques, we discussed Giving Speeches and Presentations.
1. It is important to research the the topic or person you are delivering a speech on extensively before so that you are as knowledgeable as can be on the subject.
2. Every speech needs an objective, what the speaker hopes to accomplish when they deliver the speech.
3. Always create an outline for a speech.
4. Word selection is key. Use simple words, bold phrases, direct quotes, a variety of sentence length and structure, and a conversational tone.
5. Write several drafts of the speech and edit extensively.
6. Write your speech for the ear. Practice it aloud. It may sound different on paper than it does when it is actually delivered.
7. Use eye contact and keep the speech short and to the point.
8. Power point presentations and other visuals enhance a speech so it doesn’t seem like just a person standing there talking.