In Chapter Five of Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques , we discussed Writing the News Release.
1. The Press Release is the backbone of almost every publicity plan.
2. In a press release, a public relations writer needs to include the five W’s and H.
3. Always use AP style in a press release.
4. The five types of news releases are announcements, spot announcements, reaction stories, bad news, and local news.
5. A news release has six basic components: letterhead, contacts, headline, dateline, lead paragraph, and body of text.
6. Always try to use a local angle in any news release.